BIOLOGY SALIVARY NICOTINE SELF-TEST
Nicotine, an alkaloid naturally present in the tobacco leaf, is a powerful psychostimulant substance responsible for the phenomena of tobacco addiction.
EPIDEMIOLOGY SALIVARY NICOTINE SELF-TEST
In 2015, the number of tobacco-related deaths was 75,000. In 2017, the number of smokers decreased by one million.
PRINCIPLE OF THE SALIVARY NICOTINE SELF-TEST
The MEDISUR salivary nicotine self-test is a speciﬁc immunochromatographic test that detects the presence of cotinine (primary metabolite of nicotine) in a saliva sample. It has a cotinine detection threshold of 20 ng/mL. The test can be positive up to 4 days after the last cigarette.
PURPOSE OF THE SALIVARY NICOTINE SELF-TEST
The purpose of this test is to detect the presence of cotinine (primary metabolite of nicotine). The threshold of 20 ng/mL generally makes it possible to separate passive and active smoking. On the other hand, due to the inter-individual variability and the assimilated quantity, a highly exposed passive smoker may present a positive test and conversely, a very occasional smoker may present a negative test.
WHO TO RECOMMEND THE SALIVARY NICOTINE SELF-TEST TO
- For parents who want to monitor their child.
- For those who wish to follow their progress in quitting smoking.
PRECAUTIONS FOR USE
Do not eat, smoke or drink for 10 minutes before taking the test.
- This test is intended for external use only. DO NOT SWALLOW.
- Read the instruction manual carefully before performing the test. The test can only be interpreted if the instructions for use are scrupulously respected. Respect the times indicated.
- Store between +2°C and +30°C. Do not freeze.
- Do not use after the expiry date printed on the label and on the protective sachet, or if the latter is damaged.
- Do not reuse this test.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- After use, dispose of all components in the trash.
The box contains the necessary equipment for a test:
– 1 hermetically sealed aluminum bag containing 1 screening device and 1 anti-moisture bag.
- Instructions for use
– 1 dematerialized accompanying booklet
Only open the foil pouch when using the test.
The anti-moisture bag should not be used.
INTERPRETATION OF THE RESULT
The test is positive when a band appears in the reading window next to the C marker (control) and no band appears at the T marker. This means that the saliva contains a cotinine concentration which is above the detection threshold.
The test is negative when a band appears in the reading window next to the C mark (control) and a band appears at the T mark. This means that the saliva does not contain cotinine or contains a concentration of it. below the detection threshold. The intensity of the T line can vary depending on the cotinine concentration. Regardless of the intensity, the test will be negative.
The test is invalid when the control band (mark C) does not appear. Most often, this occurs when the patient does not follow the directions in the package insert. Read the instructions carefully and start over with a new screening test.
There are no reviews yet.